Hockey Gods



Uploaded By: PRESIDENT on July 6th, 2018

Lorne "Chabotsky" Chabot - Born October 5, 1900 in Montreal, Quebec - Died October 10, 1946 in Montreal, Quebec was a Canadian Ice Hockey goaltender.

It was in northwestern Ontario that Chabot first gained widespread fame. His relatively large 6-foot 1-inch frame and quick reflexes made him hard to beat. His stellar play contributed to the Port Arthur Bearcats / Port Arthur Ports consecutive Allan Cup championships in 1925 and 1926. After the second of these, Conn Smythe signed Chabot to play for the New York Rangers.

As a rookie, "Sad Eyes" won 22 games, recorded 10 shutouts and took the starting netminder's job away from Hal Winkler. In 1927-28 he played all 44 regular-season matches and helped New York reach the Stanley Cup finals. In the second game of the championship series against the Montreal Maroons, an injury to Chabot precipitated one of the most famous maneuvers in Stanley Cup playoff history. Teams didn't carry a backup goalie, so Rangers manager Lester Patrick was forced to make an emergency appearance between the pipes. The "Silver Fox" backstopped the Blueshirts to an overtime win that shifted the momentum of the series and helped New York win its first Stanley Cup championship on April 14, 1928..

Prior to the 1928-29 schedule Chabot was sent to Toronto, where he posted a career-best 1.61 goals-against average and 12 shutouts. In 1931-32 he helped the Maple Leafs win its first Stanley Cup championship on April 9, 1932 vs his old team, the Rangers.

In the fifth game of the 1933 Stanley Cup semifinals against the Boston Bruins, the teams played 164 minutes and 46 seconds of scoreless Hockey before the Maple Leafs' Ken Doraty scored in the sixth overtime period. Chabot earned the shutout in what was the longest game in NHL history to that date. But in the finals the Rangers prevented the Maple Leafs from repeating as champions.

In the fall of 1933 Chabot was traded to the Montreal Canadiens for George Hainsworth. The trade made the two men the first goalies ever to play for both storied teams.

Following the death of the legendary Charlie Gardiner in 1934, the Chicago Black Hawks acquired Chabot in a trade from Montreal with Howie Morenz and Marty Burke for Lionel Conacher, Roger Jenkins and Leroy Goldsworthy, October 3, 1934. Chabot showed no ill effects at having to replace the popular Gardiner as he went on to lead the NHL with a 1.80 goals-against mark. The NHL acknowledged his excellence by placing him on the First All-Star Team and presenting him with the 1935 Vezina Trophy.

Chabot missed the majority of 1935-36 season due to knee injury in training camp, October 23, 1935, and was traded to the Montreal Maroons by Chicago for cash, February 8, 1936.
Chabot played 16 regular-season games for the Maroons in 1936, and during the playoffs, on March 24, 1936, he played in the longest game in NHL history. Despite his heroic efforts in that game, the first of the semifinals, the Montrealers succumbed to the Detroit Red Wings when Mud Bruneteau scored the game's only goal after 116 minutes and 30 seconds of overtime.

Chabot played 6 games with the New York Americans in 1936-37 before retiring with 201 wins and 73 shutouts.

Chabot played in the two longest games in NHL history, losing the longest in 1935-36 and winning the second longest in 1932-33.

Chabot was the first Hockey player to appear on the cover of Time Magazine.

1925 Allan Cup Champion
1926 Allan Cup Champion
1928 Stanley Cup Champion
1932 Stanley Cup Champion
1935 Vezina Trophy Winner


No comments have been made yet.


Please login to comment. Click here to sign up. It's quick, easy and free!