Detroit Olympia Arena Seating 1927
The cornerstone for the building was laid by Mayor John W. Smith on March 8, 1927 and opened on October 15, 1927.
The Detroit Cougars played the 1st NHL game at the building on November 22, 1927 vs Ottawa Senators in a 2-1 Ottawa win.
Detroit's Johnny Sheppard scored the first goal at the building on Alex Connell at 10:15 of the 1st period.
The Detroit Olympia was created by the Detroit Hockey Club, which owned the Detroit Cougars, Detroit Falcons and Detroit Red Wings,
A Hockey team named Detroit Olympia played here in the Canadian Professional Hockey League and later the International Hockey League.
The Detroit Olympia hosted 4 NHL All-Star Games in 1950, 1952, 1954, and 1955.
The Detroit Olympia hosted the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championships in 1977 and 1979.
The Detroit Red Wings played the final game there on December 15, 1979 vs Quebec Nordiques in a 4-4 tie.