Hockey Gods



Uploaded By: PRESIDENT on October 17th, 2020

Owen Sound Greys
Memorial Cup Champions - 1927
John Ross Robertson Cup Champions 1927

Team Roster
Bottom Row L to R - John Grant, H. Smith, Benny Grant, Leslie Beattie.

Middle Row - N. Whetton, Alvin Moore, Martin Lauder, Harold "Shrimp" McDougall, Jack Markle, Hillis "Paddy" Paddon, A. Bennett.

Top Row - F. Campbell, E.S. Pratt, R.A. Vincer, Father J. Spratt (coach), R. Wilson.

The 1927 Memorial Cup final, a best-of-three affair, opened on March 25 in Toronto.

"In a thrilling, nerve-wracking game, Owen Sound Greys ... defeated Port Arthur 5-4,” according to one report. "The losers gave a rare display of courageous playing by coming from behind on three occasions to tie the score and by battling the Greys to a standstill in the closing minutes of the game, when they fought desperately to again even matters up.” Owen Sound's McDougall scored the only goal of the first period.
Port Arthur tied it early in the first period on Barton's goal, only to have Paddon give the Greys the lead a few minutes later. However, McKay's goal pulled the Westies into a tie before the period ended.
Lauder scored twice in the opening minutes of the third period to give Owen Sound a two-goal edge. But Port Arthur roared back and tied it on goals by Cross and Monohan, before Lauder won it with 4:30 to play.

The series ended on March 28 with Owen Sound posting a 5-3 victory after 10 minutes of overtime before about 8,000 fans. The Greys outscored the Westies 3-1 in the extra session.
"The game commenced at a burning pace which was maintained throughout the entire game,” read a report.
The teams were tied 1-1 after one period, Owen Sound led 2-1 after two, and it was 2-2 after three.
McDougall struck for four goals for the Greys, including two in overtime.
Paddon had Owen Sound's other goal, the first score of overtime. Friday, Gross and Barton replied for Port Arthur.
McDougall was credited with the Memorial Cup-winning goal at 4:45 of the overtime period. It came off the rebound of a shot by Lauder.

The referee in both games of the final was Lou Marsh, a legendary sports writer after whom Canada's male athlete-of-the-year award is named.


No comments have been made yet.


Please login to comment. Click here to sign up. It's quick, easy and free!