University of Saskatchewan Hockey Team 1923
Saskatoon City League Champions
Inter-Provincial University Champions
Saskatchewan Amateur Champions
Western Canada Champions
Trophies L to R.
Van VaLkenburg Cup Champions 1923
Patton Cup Champions 1923
Halpenny Cup Champions 1923
Mitchner Cup Champions 1923
Bottom Row L to R - Harold Eric Wilson, Samuel Edward "Ward" Turvey, Ernest Archibald McNab, George L. "Toad" Art.
Middle Row - Reginald Brehaut (coach), William P. MacLean (manager).
Top Row - Douglas H. McCallum (assistant manager), Wilfred H. Heffernan, Charles "Charlie" Hay, William Broadfoot, Don J. Collins, Merv M. Moore.
In 1922, Dr. J. Halpenny of the University of Saskatchewan donated a trophy to the WCIAU to be awarded to the annual champion. The Halpenny Trophy was competed for on an annual basis until 1950, with the exception of several seasons during the 1930s and early 1940s, when competition was halted due to the Depression and World War II. In March of 1950 the Halpenny Trophy was retired in the permanent possession of Alberta after the Golden Bears won the trophy for the 17th consecutive season. The Halpenny Trophy was replaced by the W.G. Hardy Trophy in 1950-51.
The Van Valkenburg Cup is awarded for the Saskatchewan Senior Hockey Championship.
Woodburn Merrill Van Valkenburg came to Regina in 1903 to work as a pharmacist with the Canada Drug and Book Company. It was not long after his energy and entrepreneurial drive that led him to enter the pharmaceutical industry on his own. He built the first store of any kind on 11th Avenue. Woodburn then expanded his operations by opening a second drug store at 1833 Scarth St., where he worked until 1928.
He played with the Regina "Vic" Victorias for most of his active years. When his playing days were over, continued to serve Saskatchewan's Hockey community by producing the province's first rule book and serving as chief western referee for 15 years. In 1915-16, was the president of the Saskatchewan Amateur Hockey Association and remained a member of the association's executive until 1924. The Van Valkenburg Cup, which he donated to the Saskatchewan Hockey community was nationally recognized when he was appointed vice president of the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association.