Calumet Hockey Team 1904-05
The Calumet Team won the First Professional League Championship, the International Hockey League Championship.
Hod Stuart, Red McMillan, Lal Earles, Dr. Bob Scott, William Nicholson, Jimmy Gardner, Fred Strike, Ken Mallen
Missing from Team Photo (Cooney Shields, Boyd Sylvester)
Trainer - Joe Ziehr
Manager - Charles Thompson
President - Johnson Vivian
The Palestra - Laurium, Michigan
The Palestra was a 4,000 to 5,000 seat arena, and was the first building in the world built specifically for the use of ice Hockey and for most of its existence, the Palestra had a natural ice surface. The rink was flooded and would then freeze in the cold weather.
The skating surface was 180 feet x 78 feet and was the first home of the Calumet professional Hockey team (IHL 1904-1907). The building itself was 265 feet long by 124 feet wide, held up by 2x10 inch steel framing.
The arena did not have ice making equipment until the late 1940s. The building opened on December 16, 1904, with a professional International Hockey League game between Portage Lake and Calumet. Calumet won 4-3 in front of 3,000 spectators.
At the time, the population of Calumet was 4,668.
Laurium is a village in Calumet Township, Houghton County in the U.S. state of Michigan.