Hockey Gods



Uploaded By: PRESIDENT on June 5th, 2020

Autry Raymond Erickson - Born January 25, 1938 in Lethbridge, Alberta – Died August 21, 2010 in Moreno Valley, California was a Canadian ice Hockey defenceman and coach.

Erickson split his four-year junior career evenly between the Lethbridge Native Sons of the Western Canada Junior Hockey League / WCJHL 1954 to 1956 and the and the Prince Albert Mintos of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League / SJHL. During that time, and especially in Prince Albert, the lanky blueliner established himself as a robust defender who had a touch for head-manning the puck.

The SJHL Regina Pats then picked up Erickson for their playoffs in the spring of 1958, and made it to the Memorial Cup finals, losing to the Ottawa-Hull Junior Canadiens.

Erickson turned pro with the Calgary Stampeders of the Western Hockey League / WHL for the 1958-59 season.

Erickson then signed with the Boston Bruins for the 1959-60 season. He scored his 1st NHL goal on October 11, 1959 vs Jacques Plante of the Montreal Canadiens.

The lanky young rearguard, known as a steady, dependable blueliner, would play two full seasons in Boston, establishing his rock solid, robust and rugged minded defensive presence.

Erickson was traded to the Chicago Black Hawks and sent to the Buffalo Bisons of the American Hockey League / AHL for the 1961-62 season. He helped the Bisons reach the 1962 Calder Cup finals.
Aut played 3 games for the Black Hawks the next season, and played solid defence for the Bisons, as they won the 1963 Calder Cup championship.

Erickson then played 34 games for the Bisons in the 1963-64 season, before finishing the season with the Black Hawks (31 games) and playing in 6 NHL playoff games.

Erickson played the 1964-65 season with the AHL Pittsburgh Hornets, before heading to British Columbia, where he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs farm team, Victoria Maple Leafs of the Western Hockey League / WHL. Aut helped Victoria win the 1966 Lester Patrick Cup, as WHL champions. He played the next season in Victoria, where late in the season, Toronto called him up to play for the Maple Leafs in the playoffs. Erickson only played 1 game on April 20, 1967 vs the Canadiens, the first game of the Stanley Cup finals. Toronto went on to win the 1967 Stanley Cup championship, and Aut had his named engraved on the cup, even though he only ever played 1 game for Toronto.

Erickson was then selected by the Oakland Seals in the NHL expansion draft, becoming a original member of the new NHL team. he played the 1967-68 season with Oakland, then back to the WHL for the 1968-69 season, playing with the Phoenix Roadrunners. Aut would become the Roadrunners player/coach for the 1969-70 season, before retiring as a player to become the Roadrunners head coach for the next 2 seasons.

Erickson then returned to the NHL as an assistant GM with the New York Islanders. After two years in the front office he co-coached the team with Earl Ingarfield for a short time before leaving Hockey for good.


No comments have been made yet.


Please login to comment. Click here to sign up. It's quick, easy and free!