Hockey Gods


Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb


Uploaded By: PRESIDENT on October 15th, 2015

University of Toronto Schools, Senior Hockey Team.
Memorial Cup Champions 1919
J. Ross Robertson Cup Champions 1919
Eastern Canadian Champions 1919
Preparatory School Champions OHA, 1918-19

Team Roster
Jack T. Aggett (captain), Donald R. Gunn, Steve M. Greey, Don J. Jeffrey, Richard J. Kearns, Duncan Brown Munro, W. Langton Rowell, Joseph "Joe" Albert Taylor Sullivan

Coach - Peter Francis "Frank" Carroll
Honorary Coach - J. O. Carlisle
Honorary Coach - W. J. Lougheed
Manager - W. R. Baker
Secretary Treasurer - D. A. Irwin
School Administrator / Headmaster - H. J. "Bull" Crawford

The University of Toronto Schools, backstopped by goaltender Joe Sullivan, who would go on to become a well-known physician and senator, won the Eastern Canadian championship, whipping the visiting Montreal Melvilles 8-2 in a sudden-death game on March 17, 1919.

The 1919 Memorial Cup, a two-game, total-goal affair, was scheduled for Toronto, with games on March 19 and 22 at Arena Gardens on Mutual Street.

W.J. Finlay, sports editor of the Winnipeg Free Press, reported prior to the first game: “Toronto fans are greatly worked up over their juniors and they are just a little afraid that their favorites are going to get beaten.
“However, it looks like a great game and, in our opinion, should be in doubt right to the finish.”
It was anything but in doubt as the U of T Schools opened with a 14-3 victory, causing Finlay to write: "Travelling at a dizzy pace from start to finish and uncorking team play that was revelation to the western fans, the University of Toronto Schools nifty young Hockey machine cantered through the Regina Patricians in such a commanding style that they not only swamped the westerners 14-3 but outclassed them from stem to stern ...”
Toronto, coached by Frank Carroll, a noted coach in his time, led 2-0 after the first period and 7-2 after the second.
As Finlay noted: "The Toronto outfit has the six-man Hockey system as used by the professionals down to a science and they have the ability to make use of the system to perfection. Coached by Frank Carroll, the noted Toronto professional pilot, the boys have developed team play that was really pretty to watch.”
Forwards Don Jeffreys and Jack Aggett scored six goals each for Toronto, with defenceman Dunc Munroe adding the other two. Regina got goals from two wingers — Laudas Dutkowski, who was known as Duke and who, late in his life, dropped the ‘k’ from his surname, and S. Conrad — and defenceman M.A. Wingham.

It's worth noting that the game was an hour and 15 minutes late in starting, as The Canadian Press reported, "to allow the fans to greet the 4th C.M.R., the first Toronto unit to come home in a body.”
The Canadian Press also reported: "It was not known tonight whether the Patricias would default the second game on Saturday night. It is a moral certainty that they cannot pull down the lead.”

Give the Patricias credit — they showed up for the second game on March 22. This time Toronto posted a 15-5 victory to win the series by a combined score of 29-8.
"Though the score was trebled on them the Pats played much better hockey than they did on the opening night and the score is no indication of the play,” wrote Finlay.
Getting glowing reviews was Mordecai Brown, the Regina goaltender who it was said was only 16 years of age.
Toronto, which led 8-4 and 10-4 at the period breaks, got five goals from Steve Greey, four from Munroe, and three each from Jeffreys and Aggett.

For the record, the Memorial Cup-winning goal was Toronto's ninth one in the opening game. It came from Aggett early in the third period.

It's also worth noting that Lou Marsh, a noted sports writer with the Toronto Star, officiated both games, while Finlay — yes, the same Free Press sports editor — teamed with Marsh for the second game.
As Finlay's report noted: "Two sporting scribes, Billy Finlay of the Free Press, Winnipeg, and Lou Marsh, of the Toronto Star, handled the game, which was very clean.“


The Memorial Cup was originally known as the OHA Memorial Cup and was donated by the Ontario Hockey Association (OHA) in 1919 to be awarded to the junior champion of Canada. From its inception until 1971, the Memorial Cup was open to all Junior A teams in the country and was awarded following a series of league, provincial and regional playoffs culminating in an east-west championship.

The Ontario Hockey Association’s annual meeting was unanimous that a fitting memorial be established to members of the OHA who had fallen on the field of war. "Past President Capt. J.T. Sutherland, now in France, spoke of the splendid work done by Canadian boys in France and suggested the erection of a suitable memorial to Hockey players who have fallen."—The Globe, Toronto, Ontario, Dec. 9, 1918.

From 1919 to 1928, the Memorial Cup Final was a two-game total goals affair between a champion from Eastern Canada and a champion from Western Canada, both of which were determined through a series of playdowns under the auspices of the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association. In 1929, the Memorial Cup Final became a best-of-three series.

Sourced from Credited to Farmer Bros. Limited.


No comments have been made yet.


Please login to comment. Click here to sign up. It's quick, easy and free!