Sir Donald Daniel Mann (D.D.Mann) donated The D.D. Mann Trophy (Mann Cup) made of solid gold in 1910 for the lacrosse senior amateur championship trophy in the Dominion of Canada.
There have actually been three Mann Cup trophies in existence - the original and two replicas. The original 1910 trophy was in use from 1910 until 1985, when it was retired permanently to the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame. A replica trophy, which has a larger and taller base than the original 1910 trophy, was in use and awarded to teams from 1986 until 2004 when it was destroyed in a bonfire mishap in Peterborough. The second replica replaced the first replica in 2005, and its appearance mirrors the previous 1986 replica trophy and not the original 1910 trophy.
The Mann Cup was originally a challenge trophy, but in 1925 the champion New Westminster Salmonbellies turned the trophy over to the Canadian Lacrosse Association who instituted a national playoff system.
The challenges and championships for the Mann Cup were played by the rules of traditional field lacrosse until 1932, when box lacrosse was adopted by the Canadian Lacrosse Association. The first indoor Mann Cup was played at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto in October 1932.