The Van Valkenburg Cup, was 1st awarded in 1911 for the Saskatchewan Amateur Hockey Association / SAHA Saskatchewan Senior Hockey Championship.
Woodburn Merrill Van Valkenburg came to Regina in 1903 to work as a pharmacist with the Canada Drug and Book Company. He had graduated from the University of Toronto with a Degree in Pharmacy.
It was not long after his energy and entrepreneurial drive that led him to enter the pharmaceutical industry on his own. He soon established his own pharmacy on 11th Avenue, and would open another pharmacy at 1833 Scarth St., where he worked until 1928.
He became a director of public relations at a newly opened General Motors assembly plant, and was also a inspector for the Saskatchewan Pharmaceutical Association, later becoming their registrar.
He played Hockey with the Regina "Vic" Victorias for most of his active years. When his playing days were over, continued to serve Saskatchewan's Hockey community by producing the province's first rule book for Hockey and serving as chief western referee for 15 years. In 1915-16, he was the president of the Saskatchewan Amateur Hockey Association and remained a member of the association's executive until 1924.
The Van Valkenburg Cup, which he donated to the Saskatchewan Hockey community in 1911 was nationally recognized when he was appointed vice president of the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association.