The rink was opened on December 20, 1884, and was located on the Rideau Canal at Waller Street and Theodore Street (today's Laurier Avenue), next to the Dey's Family boat works.
The natural ice rink surface was 150 feet (46 m) by 60 feet (18 m).
It was the home arena of the Ottawa Hockey Club.
The last Hockey game at the rink was held on March 30, 1895 and the building was demolished later that year.
The rink and and later 2 other arenas (Dey's Skating Rink & The Arena) were built by two generations of the Dey family, who were prominent in Ottawa at the time, with a thriving boat works business serving the lumber business. The Dey family also played Hockey (Edgar & Edwin Dey).