Hockey Gods

SIMILAR IMAGES

Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb

IMAGE INFORMATION

Edit
Uploaded By: PRESIDENT on February 10th, 2020

The Waker Cup was originally purchased for $500 from Cartier's in New York City in 1926 by George Blumenthal, who was a financier and philanthropist.

Blumenthal wanted a trophy named after his friend, and New York City Mayor Jimmy Walker.

The trophy was for the champion of the 3 teams playing at Madison Square Garden / MSG, Metropolitan Hockey League - St. Nick's Hockey Club, Crescent Athletic Club and the New York Athletic Club.

Mayor Walker was later involved in scandal and tendered his resignation. The Walker Cup was found in a pawn shop on Eighth Avenue, in New York, where Tom Lockhart, who was in charge of amateur Hockey at MSG and vice-president of the Metropolitan A.A.U. purchased the trophy for $80 on behalf of Col. J.R. Kilpatrick, President of MSG in December of 1933.

The Walker Cup was later used in the Eastern Amateur Hockey League / EAHL and later in the Eastern Hockey League / EHL as their championship trophy.

0 COMMENTS

No comments have been made yet.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please login to comment. Click here to sign up. It's quick, easy and free!