Hockey Gods

SIMILAR IMAGES

Thumb Thumb

IMAGE INFORMATION

Edit
Uploaded By: PRESIDENT on July 13th, 2014

Bay Counties Amateur Hockey Association Players 1916

1 - John H. Thomlinson (Caledonian Club), 2 - Joe Moody (Polo Hockey Club), 3 - A. W. Vincent (Indoor Yacht Club), 4 - F. A. Knott (San Francisco Hockey Club), 5 - L. L. Fuller (Caledonian Club).

The 1st artificial rink in San Francisco was opened under the name Techau Tavern Ice Palace on May 1, 1916 with a feature presentation of "Alpine Nights" supplemented with a skating ballet.

The Bay Counties Amateur Hockey Association was formed on July 10, 1916 at the Techau Tavern with the following officers duly elected from local clubs.
Honorary Presidents - William Greer Harrison (Olympic Club), and Edward H. Sinclair (Canadian Club), President - Dr. Arthur Beardslee (Olympic Club), 1st Vice President - James A. McDonald (Caledonian Club), 2nd Vice President - Corbett Moody (Polo Hockey Club), 3rd Vice President - J. H. O'Keefe (Canadian Club), Secretary Treasurer - A. C. Morrison (Polo Hockey Club), Executive Committee - John H. Thomlinson (Caledonian Club), Harold Hoeber (Indoor Yacht Club), C. H. Minto (Canadian Club), J. S. A. Macdonald (San Francisco Hockey Club), Sven Philip (Olympic Club), A. C. Morrison (Polo Hockey Club).

The pioneer season was set to play on each Tuesday evening starting July 18, 1916 to October 24, 1916 with the following teams - Polo Hockey Club, Olympic Club, Caledonian Club, Indoor Yacht Club, San Francisco Hockey Club and the Canadian Club.

A new rink was opened called the Winter Garden, which had a ice surface of 210 by 90 feet, and The California Amateur Hockey Association was also formed in 1916 in the San Francisco Bay area of California.

The 1st President was Robert W. Dodd - Vice-President Merrill E. Andrews and Wendel Kuhn a former Princeton player was named Secretary Treasurer.

The California Amateur Hockey Association started play on November 14, 1916, and was to continue for a period of 18 weeks, also playing their games on Tuesday evenings.

The first teams to play were the Olympic Club, Indoor Yacht Club, Pacific Club and the Canadian Club - Stanford University and the Caledonian Club were also members of the association.

IT SHOULD BE NOTED - The 1st Ice Hockey game played in Southern California was on May 13, 1916 in San Diego, on the ice rink at the Panama-California International Exposition (in the former Alhambra Cafeteria building).

The group of men who lined up for that game was composed of a local sportsman, an aviator from the Government aviation school, two men from the United States Marine Corps, a concessionaire from the Isthmus, a map maker, a physician, a army officer and several prominent business men. They were men from Canada, from Europe and from Eastern & Northern States, and they had played ice Hockey from Nova Scotia to China. They called themselves the Exposition and San Diego teams.

Sourced from https://archive.org.

0 COMMENTS

No comments have been made yet.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please login to comment. Click here to sign up. It's quick, easy and free!