The Starr Trophy was donated by the Starr Manufacturing Company based in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia to the Halifax Hockey Association League in 1897.
It was originally awarded the best amateur team in the Maritimes. During the initial season of the Maritime League this trophy was presented to its championship team the Moncton Victorias. Since Moncton had won the trophy as an amateur team the previous two seasons they followed the tradition of the time and declared Moncton to be the rightful owners of the Starr Trophy and it was taking out of circulation.
The Starr Manufacturing Trophy can now be seen at the Windsor Hockey Heritage Museum in Windsor, Nova Scotia